Saturday, February 12, 2011

A cancer blog? How uplifting!

Let me start this first post by saying I never thought I'd be the one to ever blog about anything.  Especially not about my experience with breast cancer.   My boyfriend, Max was industrious enough to set this up for me to be able to have a permanent link for any info on my current situation and  upcoming fundraiser .  Some of you may know about what's been going on with me, some of you may be clueless, some of you that read this might not even know me or care.   Basic facts:  I lost my job and insurance, then I got breast cancer.  My financial situation is a sinking ship and so is my attitude most days. In 3 days, I'm going to have a double mastectomy and begin a very long reconstruction process that will make or break me.   I'm guessing break me, then maybe make me in that order.
I never thought I would have cancer at my age and be unemployed at the same time.  I never thought I would find myself in a position to need a fundraiser to help me stay afloat.  Those of you who know me well know that I treasure my independence and have a hard time asking for help when I need it.   So thank you to Max, to my friends and family for organizing this fundraiser to try and get me back on my feet again.  And thank you to any of you reading this who will lend a hand in whatever way you can.  There will be a lot of people to thank going forward and I will do my best not to forget any of you.   Ive already got some thank yous in the works for my next little side blog. 
Anyway, I just wanted to check in to say hi, thanks for reading, thanks for helping and sharing this info with friends.  I'm not sure what I'll be posting about, but considering the topic, I'll try to keep the reading light.   Cancer is certainly no picnic, as some of you may know, and it certainly comes with its variety of emotions, mood swings, and even some extremely hilarious moments.   There is definitely never a dull moment.  Doctor consults with good docs, bad docs, weird docs, people pretending to be docs?  blood work, MRI's, xrays, biopsies, scars, bruises,  exhorbitant insurance premiums and doctor bills, hours spent on the phone with insurance companies and doctors,  genetic testing, hospital parking fees,  clueless residents in training, radioactive dye shot in to my boobs with very sharp needles, insenitive comments made by the most unexpected or random people,  personal meltdowns, crying jags at the most inappropriate times, mood swings so vast I don't even recognize myself during them, the list goes on and on......sounds fun, right?    Sometimes it is funny.  Fun, not so much. But funny indeed.  And I need funny right now.

Please check out the fundraising info which is the first page of this blog and I will check in soon with most likely a bunch of random nonsense most of the time..but also with new details on the date, time, specifics of event, dates and hospital contact info for my surgery and how things are going once im home and recovering.   Best case scenario, I come out of all this cancer free with a really fantastic bigger better set of boobs.   And a job. A really cool job would be nice.  A really cool job with insurance and new bionic boobs.  A girl can dream...

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post girl. You can blog. Now if we could just the this little cancer biz under control....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope all is going well in your corner of the world. I'm a little late in this but I am enjoying reading your pov.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for bcoming a follower Tina..hope all is well with you--nice to hear from you after so many years.

    ReplyDelete